Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lost in translation

D3 was my friend. Daniel Wilcox the 3rd, I believe was his legal name, but everyone just called him D3. When I was a kid, his dad and mine were friends, which set an excellent foundation for our own friendship. His Dad was a missionary in Papua New Guinea. I loved when they would come to visit while home on furlough, and sometimes we would see each other at various church camps. I vividly remember him telling me stories of swinging on vines and dropping into swimming holes. I remember him complaining that bananas "state-side" didn't taste right; they tasted much better picked ripe and fresh, right off a tree. In his stories I could see the verdant green of the jungle, taste the sticky humidity, and feel the wonder and excitement of it all. It seemed a dream come true for a boy: Endless adventure! Ever since, missionaries have always fascinated me.

This morning while getting ready for my decidedly non-adventurous desk job, I was listening to the radio. They were talking with a missionary bush pilot which, of course, piqued my attention. He worked with Wycliff Bible Translators, the same organization D3's dad had worked with, which piqued my attention even more. As I listened to the pilot describe the perils, challenges and joys of being a missionary bush pilot, I remembered my boyhood fantasy (ambition?) to become a missionary so I too could go live in the jungle, swing on vines, talk with aborigines and have grand adventures.

The pilot was talking about the need for bible translation when a stunning idea popped into my brain and stuck: "We are all called to be Bible translators." Cliche at first blush perhaps, but as I unpacked the idea, I realized we are all responsible for studying the Word of God & expressing that in our life. Our lives are to be an accurate translation of God's Word into a language the world can understand: actions.

St Francis of Assisi is credited as saying "Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words." And it is perhaps more true today than ever that actions speak louder than words. Our world is full of noisy talking heads all clamoring for our attention: TV, radio, blogs, facebook, twitter, youtube; everyone is talking, but it is the lone soul who acts that seizes our attention. Lewis Cass said "People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."

Whether you plan to go to Papua New Guinea, or just around the corner, remember: Speaking the truth is important, but if your actions don't support your words, no one will care what you have to say. As Grey Livingston said "Ironically, making a statement with words is the least effective method." So live the Gospel. Demonstrate it with your life, translate the Bible into your actions. How? While the specific details will vary with each situation, Jesus gave us the foundation:
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Remember, "Your life may be the only Bible some people will ever read."
How's your translation?

1 comment:

  1. w00t! This was AWESOME, David. Like it muchly. Why don't you live closer so YOU can lead the boys' bible study?! D= (I'm looking for someone ...)

    ReplyDelete